Equality, diversity and inclusion are core values underpinning our research and innovation aims.
At VeTSS we believe that creative and innovative research needs diversity, inclusion and equality of access, and that as a Research Institute, we have a responsibility to identify and remove current barriers to participation. We want to create an environment that fully values and respects individuals from all backgrounds, cultures, identities and abilities and their contribution.
To achieve these goals, we are working to integrate the best practice with respect to equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) into all aspects of VeTSS.
Our commitment to EDI is crucial in driving innovation and excellence in our work, but also will allow us to engage with and benefit a larger part of the research community and to contribute to a fairer, more equal society.
This statement outlines our goals and priorities and the practical steps that are taking.
- We will ensure that individuals of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, socioeconomic backgrounds and identities feel included and have equal opportunities to thrive within VeTSS. We will take practical steps to improve the opportunities and experiences of currently under- represented groups.
- We will aim to build a research community that reflects the diversity of the society we live and work in and that brings together individuals with diverse perspectives and expertise.
- We will identify barriers to opportunities and will work to remove them. We will align with the EDI strategies of our hosting institutions, the University of Surrey and Imperial College London and regularly measure our progress against our goals.
- We will foster a respectful and inclusive culture by encouraging open dialogue, active listening, and respectful communication. We will promote an environment where diverse ideas are valued, and individuals are supported in expressing their opinions without fear of discrimination or bias.
- We will collaborate internally and externally to develop good practice. To this end, we will actively seek partnerships and collaborations with organizations that adhere to these principles, to collectively work towards a more inclusive research community.
Promoting Diversity and Inclusive Culture: At VeTSS, we aim to foster an inclusive culture by encouraging open dialogue, active listening, and respectful communication. We will promote an environment where diverse ideas are valued, and individuals are supported in expressing their opinions without fear of discrimination or bias. We also want to create a community that reflects the diversity of society we live and work in, and want to bring together individuals with varied perspectives and expertise. To this end, we will actively seek partnerships and collaborations with organizations that adhere to these principles, to collectively work towards a more inclusive, equal and diverse research community.
Equal Opportunities: We will identify barriers to opportunities and will work to remove them. We work to widen participation and improve the diversity of our community. This commitment will include increasing the diversity of the members in our Advisory board, and of the people attending our events and conferences. We will strive to provide equal opportunities for professional growth, advancement, and leadership roles within VeTSS. We will always support flexible working conditions to enable everyone to balance their work and careers with their family life and responsibilities and we will ensure that this is reflected in our funding calls, events and research.
Education and Training: We are committed to create a working environment free of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination. Dignity and respect for all will be promoted, and we will value the individual differences and contributions of all staff. VeTSS directors and management staff will have allocated time to take up training to support our EDI aspirations and goals.
We understand that this is an ongoing process that requires continuous effort and accountability and we are committed to regularly reviewing our practices and work against our aim to make VeTSS an environment that fully embraces equality, diversity and inclusion.